Welcome to the Branding 101, Virgin style. Here are the Top 5 insights to be cherished.
- To exceed great expectations, do the unexpected. As it is, it’s tough upholding the promise of being the airline that is “reinventing air travel”. But Virgin actually does a good job in not just meeting expectations, but exceeding them too, by consistently surprising and delighting the customers. On Earth Day, all passengers in green were allowed to board first. Even the toilet plays trance music. How is that for a pleasant surprise?
- Create a strong brand personality. Be it Sir Richard Branson or the zingy flight attendants. Be it the smaller-than-usual boarding passes or the in-flight safety video. All elements enforce a strong Virginisque brand personality, and it is this which continues to linger in the customer’s mind long after he or she leaves the plane. Virgin is excellent in doing this across its plethora of brands, and has done a great job here as well.
- Engage. Virgin America has taken the phrase “engage the customer” literally. Passengers can communicate with each other using the in-flight chat system. They can even chat alongside their TV shows, about a particular scene. Now, that’s truly engaging. Everything from the now-famous in-flight safety video (see above) to the check-in staff go an extra mile in engaging the customer. And the customer remembers the engagement and shares it with others. A great example of the true power of a strong brand being leveraged.
- Stay consistent. People across the globe have heard of the Virgin brand and associate it with certain attributes – trendy, hip, great value for money and disruptive in nature. Brand extensibility across brands cements the customers’ trust in a brand. Virgin America stays true to the overall brand values of the Virgin group, by offering better-than-full-carrier amenities at budget prices and ensuring that the customers feel the chic nature of the brand at almost every touch point.
- Fire from the shoulders of giants. Piggy-backing on a hot trend can result in unexpected benefits for a brand. Virgin America has utilized this same technique by tapping on the “green” fever. It has been approved as a Ceres network company for its commitment to being a sustainability leader in the airline industry. It has also partnered with Method, the environmentally-friendly home and personal care product company that creates the hand soap provided on all Virgin America flights. In addition to that, Virgin America is also sponsoring California State Parks Foundation environmental restoration projects across Northern California and surprising Virgin America passengers with a special gift that offers travelers a few easy tools to go green at home. How is that for being eco-chic?
Virgin America is truly leading the way in the US airline market, making the journey an experience in itself. Let’s see who’s the next one to follows in its footsteps.
Latest posts by Shashank Nigam (see all)
- Ethiopian Airlines Hijacking to Geneva – Lessons in social media crisis management #ET702 - February 18, 2014
- Airline marketers bring on the holiday cheer – jetBlue #flyitforward, Virgin Atlantic’s Little Red Christmas choir, Cathay Pacific Flashmob - December 25, 2013
- WestJet Christmas Miracle surprises travellers with gifts of their choice #westjetchristmas - December 10, 2013