Continuing our coverage and analysis of the dynamic social media landscape for airlines, we’ve released the May 2011 Airlines on Twitter report with Eezeer. Data around airlines on Twitter this month reveals a few stark facts:
- 99.9% of all tweets are about service item issues – like flight delays, baggage inquiries and other customer service issues that’d typically go to the call center. Ironically, only 13% of all resources at airlines are dedicated from customer service departments typically.
- While the number of airlines on Twitter has reaching the 200 mark, at 189, 27 of all airlines still make up 80% of the tweets
- While Delta still remains the airline receiving and sending most tweets, it only replied to 17% of the tweets it received, up from compared to 11% last month
- Porter Airlines of Canada has the highest global satisfaction score of 111.8 this month, and till date, unseating Air New Zealand, which scored 107.6 last month
- AirAsia this month not only became the first airline outside of the US to have a million Facebook fans, it also remains at #2 in terms of mentions on Twitter, followed by TAM Brazil.
More interesting data and facts in the infographic below. Enjoy!
CEO at SimpliFlying
Shashank Nigam is the CEO of SimpliFlying and a globally sought-after consultant, speaker and thought-leader on airline branding and customer engagement strategy. He is also the youngest winner of the Global Brand Leadership Award and has addressed senior aviation executives globally, from Chile to Canada and from Sydney to San Francisco. Shashank's perspectives have found their way into major media outlets, including CNN Travel, CNBC, MSNBC, Bloomberg UTV, Mashable and in leading publications like Airline Business, ATW, Aviation Week, and others. Shashank studied Information Systems Management and Business Management at Singapore Management University and Carnegie Mellon University. Hailing from India, he splits his time between Singapore and Vancouver, among other cities.
Latest posts by Shashank Nigam (see all)
- The biggest key to success in airline marketing? Vision. And the guts to pursue it. - August 28, 2014
- Airline Marketing during World Cup: KLM’s Twitter gaffe, AeroMexico’s response and Belgian chocolates - July 4, 2014
- Airlines need to embrace real time customer service through social media – Case Study - June 24, 2014