The benefits of crowdsourcing, and its effectiveness for problem solving, are well-known. The power of the social web is being harnessed by airlines more than ever (in fact, a cargo-carrier has recently got into the game as well). Crowdsourcing initiatives are now being used not just to engage customers but also to find ways to improve their product and services, as well as at the same time building their brands. Hence, “crowdbranding”.
With today’s Top 10 case-pack we would like to highlight some of the best examples of airline crowdsourcing. At the same time, we also invite our readers to have a look beyond the surface and into the deeper strategic goals that drive each of these strategies. In some cases it will be clear that the end game was indeed solving a problem or finding an innovative way of addressing existing issues, but in others it will also be clear that the stated goal of the crowdsourcing campaign wasn’t the only goal.
Most of the airline examples included in this Top 10 used crowdsourcing to solve problems related to visible parts of their product such as in-flight meals or routes, and did so in very “socially active” ways, using their social media pages and often creating dedicated websites where participants could interact.
Looking deeper into the reasons that drove these airlines to choose crowdsourcing, we found that the most common goals were:
- Solving a particular problem
- Reducing costs
- Associating their brands with a specific concept (for example: quality or low prices)
- Obtaining first hand-data from their community of users
- Promoting a new feature/product/route
With this teaser, we’ll leave you to discover how some of the best airlines in the world harnessed the power of the web in the most tantalizing and innovative ways possible.
Latest posts by Marco Serusi (see all)
- Airbus A350 First Flight on social media – an analysis of #A350FirstFlight - June 14, 2013
- [Presentation] The emerging retail experience in the age of the connected traveler - June 9, 2013
- From Dog-Wear to Branded Hotels: Top 10 Co-Branding & Ancillary Revenues Initiatives by Airlines - May 29, 2013