What makes Volaris from Mexico the world’s happiest airline? Interview with COO, Andres Fabre
Think of what an ideal airline would be like, one you’d love to fly. It will have the best on-time performance in the world. It will serve Krispy Kreme donuts for breakfast. It will have rock-concerts and fashion shows in the air. It will have the happiest employees in the world, who go out of their way to help you travel well. Stop thinking. Welcome to Volaris Airlines, from Mexico.
I believe this is bound to go down as one of the most inspirational interviews on SimpliFlying, with the Chief Operating Officer of Volaris, the fastest growing Mexican airline. Late last month at the low-cost carrier conference in Miami, I caught up with Andres Fabre, who is also the first employee of the airline, to learn how he and his team has built from scratch an airline with astonishingly happy employees, satisfied customers and performance that even other airlines are talking about.
Watch the interview with Andres (7.43 mins) to hear him explain:
- How the culture inside the company makes all the difference in performance (1.09)
- How operational excellence can be achieved when by “enjoying life” (1.45)
- Why the money-back guaruntee is an investment (2.20)
- Who are the Service Ambassadors at Volaris (2.44)
- Why making more people travel well is important (3.16)
- How disruptive marketing campaigns like rock-concerts and fashion shows were held on-board (3.45)
- How they can afford to serve free booze on-board (5.00)
- How Volaris dealt with H1N1 flu positively (5.50)
- Expansion to LAX and Oakland (Bay area), USA (6.30)
Happy Employees = Happy Customers
Over a year ago, I proclaimed that airlines that go the extra mile to keep their employees happy will in turn reap benefits they can’t even begin to imagine. Southwest Airlines has proven the same and now it’s Volaris that demonstrates that a positive internal culture and work environment results in exceptional treatment of customers too.
The name Volaris, a fusion between the word volar (to fly) and the North Star Polaris, was selected from over 1000 proposals from common Mexicans. And it is the Mexicans who should be thankful to talents like Andres, who have given them an airline that is such a pleasure to fly with. And very soon, I believe it will be the best way to get from US to Mexico as well!
Enjoy the interview!
So, what do you think about Volaris? Isn’t it refreshing to learn about such an airline in gloomy times? Why aren’t other airlines doing something like this? Let’s discuss in the comments or over on Twitter (@simpliflying)