It is clear that not only are location-based services here to stay, but they are also fast becoming the next big rage in driving brand engagement. What started with services such as FourSquare, Loopt and Gowalla is now a playground where the big daddies have entered: namely, Facebook Places and Google Latitude. If nothing else, Facebook and Google’s interest in making their services location-based should offer ample proof to businesses that “check-ins” are here to stay.
But, businesses must also keep in mind that it’s not the check-ins themselves that matter. It’s what happens after the check-in that’s important. SimpliFlying has in the past written a number of articles discussing how location-based services can be leveraged by airlines and airports to drive value, and you keen watch a webinar too! What is good to keep in mind always is why and how location-based services offer value to businesses. Let me reiterate them below:
- Real-time tracking of check-ins allow businesses to highly target and track their customers. They know who visited them and how many times.
- Multiple check-ins are a sure shot sign of loyalty. Businesses can look to target returning customers when they check-in so that loyalty can be driven.
- As we’ve written previously, setting up check-in locations with catchy messages can be a great way to spread a message far and wide at zero cost.
- For airports especially, check-ins at multiple places within the airport can help you understand the movements and buying preferences of customers.
- The contact with customers is more real with location-based services. Customers check-in when they’re actually at your establishment, which is more useful than them talking about your business virtually.
With these pointers in mind, we hope you enjoy our list of Top 10 Location Based Service Initiatives by Airlines which features a variety of case-studies across the globe and feature such stalwarts as Virgin America, Lufthansa, JetBlue, Southwest etc.
Latest posts by Shubhodeep Pal (see all)
- Which were the best airline marketing campaigns in October 2014? Find out in our Airline Marketing Benchmark Report - November 18, 2014
- What is the Future of Airline Loyalty in the Age of the Connected Traveller? Five questions to wake airlines up - October 30, 2014
- Which were the best airport marketing campaigns from the third quarter of 2014? Find out in our Airport Marketing Benchmark Report - October 27, 2014